The summer is sadly over for another year, and now it is time for us to prepare our bodies with natural ways to stay healthy this winter, so you are going to find what works for me and what the experts have to say. With the COVID virus and the flu season, this might be the most important article I have written for you yet? Let us start with my own strategies, and then we will see what others have to share with us?
How I Change My Diet For Winter?
Once the weather starts to become cooler I have had good success by substituting my summer salads with my home-made soup recipes. Before I go any farther, I wish to share with you what are some of the most important benefits of eating soup this time of the year?
- Vegetables are full of nutrients that naturally improve your immune system, and a strong immune system is our main goal to stay healthy during the cold winters.
- This is also a great choice to maintain your weight as many of us are less active this time of the year, so you can put a whole lot of soup into your body without gaining a bunch of extra weight.
- Believe it or not, this is extremely satisfying to your body. Since it contains so much broth it also contains fewer calories, and I find with healthy recipes I rarely experience the flu or colds as many others do.
- One other reason I love this is they are so easy and convenient to prepare, you just add your favorite vegetables and meat with water. I recommend you purchase a nice size slow cooker, and fill it up with your own home-made soup and freeze some for another day.
So this is my first step to natural ways to stay healthy during this winter, and below I have inserted a link for you with some healthy low-calorie soup recipes.
Healthy Slow-Cooker Recipes
Some of you might not be into soup despite it is so good for your immune system, so I have taken the time to find some recipes to share with you that might motivate you to give this a try. Soups and salads are two of the best natural ways to boost your immune system, so I urge you to give some of these a try this winter.
- Sweet Potato Soup
- Slow-Cooked Chili
- Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- Lemon Chicken and Rice
- Fresh Pumpkin Soup
- Black Bean and Pumpkin
- Turkey Sausage Vegetable
- Turkey Chili
- Mexican Beef
Did you know substituting turkey instead of beef is a healthy alternative, I started doing this after reading an article and I have lost some extra weight I was carrying around. So this is yet another way to maintain your weight during the winter months, and at the same time boost your immune system.
Vegetarian Soup Recipes
I have not forgotten those of you who are vegetarian’s in this article, and I do make sure 70% or more of my daily diet is vegetables. You need as many of these as you can put into your body for a healthy immune system, and with the COVID at its most severity this time of the year I suggest you try to eat as many as you can.
- Creamy Squash Soup
- Potato Cheese
- Vegetarian Tortilla
- Sweet Potato, Carrot, and Apple with Red Lentils
- Red Borscht
- Tomato Basil
- Vegetable Broth
- Vegan Broccoli Soup
- Russian Cabbage
- African Peanut Soup
I must admit I have never been able to go entirely vegetarian or vegan, but I have really tried over and over again. My problem is I just feel I am missing nutrients my body gets from meat, and I just have never been able to solve the mystery of what alternative will provide my body’s needs?
Immune Boosting Antibacterial Foods
So now I am going to share some of the immune-boosting foods for you to consider, and these are my second tip on natural ways to stay healthy this winter. With the COVID at its worse this time of the year, we really must be eating healthier. Here are some foods you might want to eat more of this time of the year, and I thank you for reading this article with interest to learn how to be healthier.
- Dark Leafy Greens
- Brain Food Berries
So other than the berries and the dark leafy greens, you could add more of these other foods and spices in your home-made soups. As much as these are so good for our immune systems, they also are not consumed by the majority of us nearly enough.
Natural Sleep Tips
Now that you understand the importance of what you put into your body, we now need to learn natural ways to improve your sleep. The majority of people of all ages complain more about their quality of sleep than anything else, so what can we do to improve our sleep is our next goal to work on.
- Anxiety, stress, and low blood sugar levels are the most common reasons for the majority of sleep problems, and I am no stranger to this myself. In the past, I was lucky if I got 3 hours of sleep before waking up. So a good before-bed snack to give a try is a banana rolled in Himalayan salt, and I also eat a handful of cashews as well.
- Another sleep problem I had myself was pain from my autoimmune disease, and I just recently read to replace your caffeine with Golden Milk. So this is something you could try yourself if you are a big caffeine addict, I have not tried this myself yet.
- They say if you drink 8 ounces of tart cherry juice before bed, you will sleep better. Tart cherry juice is claimed to help your body produce more melatonin naturally, so this is another natural sleep tip you can try.
- Supplements have helped many people able to sleep better, and I have found that Luden’s Melatonin Smoothers relaxes me and helps me fall asleep and able to sleep longer.
So these are some natural sleep tips I urge you to give a try, and I really feel relaxed very quickly when I use the Luden’s Melatonin Smoothers. So this is something that works for me I suggest you give a try, and I would love to hear if they help you sleep better. You can leave me a comment at the end of this article, and I would love to hear from some of you who read natural ways to stay healthy this winter.
What Else Can You Do?
There are many options you can experiment with this winter, you could start doing yoga online by going to YouTube. You can learn just about anything your heart desires on this website, and in fact, I learned many of the things I am sharing with you in my articles on my website from watching these videos. Below are some things I have tried, and some things I have not tried. You can try any of them to see how they work for you, and trial and error is the only way to find out which works and which ones don’t.
- Herbal teas are a very good option to try, I am a big herbal tea drinker and these are caffeine-free. I would prefer to drink these beverages hot or cold over the golden milk, but both of these are good choices if they interest you?
- What about warm apple cider, I have heard sipping this beverage in the evening before bed works for some people?
- I also find listening to audiobooks to be relaxing for me, but if this does not appeal to you, why not listen to some relaxing music instead?
- I walk twice per day which really has been a benefit for me, and my Miniature Australian Shepherd keeps me motivated to walk twice every day.
- Would starting your own blog be something that appeals to you, and if so winter is a great time to start a new hobby. If anyone is interested I am more than willing to help you get started, you just have to leave me a comment so we can get started.
Best Herbal Teas For Your Immune System
Since I do prefer drinking herbal teas over caffeine beverages, I do happen to know a little about which teas are the best to boost your immune system. So I decided this is important enough to share in this article, and for anyone interested, this will help you choose the best herbal teas for your immune system.
- Chamomile, but this tea is in the ragweed family so if you have an allergy to ragweed avoid this herbal tea.
- Green Tea
I am allergic to ragweed so Chamomile tea is not an option for me, and the two herbal teas I drink the most are Ginseng and Elderberry. These are good options to start with, and they are natural immune boosters you can trust with your health.
Top Immune Supplement Brands
I am no expert on supplements, so I got this list of the best immune supplement brands for you on the website Consumer Health Organization. So here is what they recommend to be your best choices for 2020, but I want you to know you should consult your physician and have them check your vitamin levels before taking any supplements on your own. Too much can be just as dangerous to your health as being deficient, so be careful about taking any supplements without consulting your physician first.
- Pure Nature Immunity Complex
- Immune Protect
- Now Immune Renew
I am on quite a few supplements because of my autoimmune diseases, but I always consult my physician before adding any new supplements. Even though these can be a dramatic impact on your health, you can also harm yourself by taking them without checking first with your physician.
Best Exercise For Your Immune System
Maybe you are confused as I was about what exercise is the best for you to be doing, and if you happen to have pre-existing health conditions such as me with autoimmune diseases it is even more difficult. So let us see what the Aleteia Organization has to say about this, so read on to learn more.
- More is not always better, I struggled when first diagnosed with autoimmune disease to exercise. I was stubborn and thought the more I pushed myself the better I would be, but as they are saying pushing yourself often can be worse for you. So you should avoid long strenuous exercise according to this organization, so let us see what else they have to say?
- Instead of the long strenuous exercise, they recommend short high-intensity exercise instead.
- It does not matter what type of exercise you choose to do, so I suggest you go for something that you enjoy. I walk with my Miniature Australian Shepherd twice per day, and this seems to be enough for me to stay healthy.
- You should choose something you can do outdoors, and one of the reasons is the benefit of vitamin D. This natural vitamin from the sun is very important when it comes to the COVID virus, and this is from this organization recommending the information in this section.
- They end their article by suggesting you choose something you enjoy, and one of their recommendations is using YouTube videos outdoors. So you could give yoga a try, and maybe you don’t like to exercise but you have a passion for dancing? Zumba was one of the recommendations in their article for people who love to dance, so to read this entire article use the link below.
I hope you found this information as interesting and as helpful as I did, and that is the reason I shared the highlights of this article with you.
Natural Ways To Stay Healthy This Winter
I chose this topic because this winter they are predicting the COVID to impact all of our lives, so this year it is more important than ever to take good care of ourselves. I have shared in this blog post some of the ways I take care of myself during the winter, and I also shared information from websites that you can trust with their information as well. Between what I know works for me, and what these websites have shared you have more knowledge than you ever have possibly had in your life?