Holiday safety tips for kids are focusing on a guide for new parents, so with Christmas on the way this could decrease your anxiety and stress this year? You might also find this helpful if you are grandparents, so read on to learn how to have a safe family time with your children and grandchildren this year.
Tips For New Parents You Need To Know
The last thing any family wants to experience is an emergency room, and so I am including some suggestions that could possibly prevent such an experience. Two of the most common injuries over the years have been from broken Christmas tree ornaments and from toys Santa brought them. These are holiday safety tips for kids to keep in mind, you can find more by reading my list below.
- Be sure to keep your tree watered if you are doing a real tree this year, you might find yourself otherwise with dropped needles that could find their way into your infant’s mouth. Babies put everything they find into their mouths, so this is a very important decision to go with a real tree or an artificial one this year?
- Christmas candles are very popular this time of the year, but with youngsters in the family, you might want to think about this? For anyone who decides to go with candles should be extra careful where they place them, and most of all out of the reach of wandering hands.
- Since injuries from toys from Santa are high on the list, you as a new parent will want to be extra careful about what Santa brings your child. Consider the age carefully, you will find age-appropriate guides for most of these products in the description.
- Games with small pieces might not be the best choice depending on their age, so this is another suggestion for new parents to consider before purchasing any games for Christmas.
- Many of the products must have batteries, so this is something to consider as well. For very small babies avoiding products with small electronic button batteries are recommended, you can imagine I am sure how easy these would be for your baby to ingest them without you knowing it.
- A good idea is to hang any ornaments that are fragile high out of reach of wandering hands, so not only decorations on your tree but also any in other parts of your home is recommended.
- Mistletoe is poisonous if ingested, so you want to be sure this is safely out of reach of children of all ages. You will want to be sure to take the extra time to hang your mistletoe securely, and this is one thing many new parents might not consider.
Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222
- Electric Christmas light cords should be hidden from sight, so this is another holiday safety tips for kids that really is important to remember.
- Avoid glass decorations placed on your Christmas Tree, you are always better off to be extra careful when you have young children in your home.
- A very good idea is to use decorations that contain bells, and this will help you keep tabs on your child while you are in the kitchen preparing your favorite cookie recipes.
- Creating some type of barrier around your tree to discourage children to become too close is a good idea, you will find this will distract many kids from getting into trouble or pulling your tree down on top of them.
- Candy Canes are very popular, but remember to place them high out of reach of small children. The plastic wrapper could be ingested causing severe digestive issues, and also small pieces of the candy could cause your child to choke.
- Everything including your tree and your home decor needs to be secure from being able to be pulled down, as new parents you might underestimate the strength and determination of your young child.
I am sure as new parents there will be some tips above that you might have never considered on your own, and I know if you follow these you will enjoy a safe and fun holiday.
Baby And Toddler Parents Guide
Since babies and toddlers are the most high-risk for injury from toys, I have chosen to include this guide for new parents. These two age groups are the biggest challenge, so below I have shared some things to help you chose the safest gifts for both babies and toddlers.
- Both of these age groups are attracted by color, so the more colorful the more the majority of children will be attracted to this toy.
- The more sound the better when it comes to what Santa should bring your child, and also remember as new parents you might want to purchase yourself those noise-canceling headphones.
- The weight is very important for small children, so I would suggest you go with light-weight for babies and toddlers. Too heavy and your child might become anxious struggling to play, and if it is not fun your child is not going to play with their toys.
- Soft and cuddly dolls for boys and girls are available today, and these really are great choices for children of these ages.
- I am big on educational and cognitive development, and parents who provide these to their children at a young age are being the best parent they can be.
- The majority of kids lack enough physical activity today, so by focusing on providing toys that promote this can benefit them as they become older in age.
- Pay careful attention to the edges and how they are made, you can opt for rubber-coated toys that are safer for your young children.
- You might find while shopping products for kids with liquid inside of them, and even though these are very interesting to children they also can be a hazard at this age.
- The magnetic educational games are not really a good choice if they contain magnets to stick to a game board, so for now, I would avoid magnetic toys and games.
- Pull along with cords are not a safe choice at this time in your child’s life, so avoid these until they are older is something I really recommend.
I strongly urge new parents to focus on gifts that are going to benefit them in learning, and at the same time follow the suggestions above to keep your young baby and toddler safe during the holidays.
Where To Shop For Baby & Toddler Toys
Many of you new to shopping for babies and toddlers, I have included in this article Holiday Safety Tips For Kids places for you to start. This will give you a headstart with your shopping, so below I have listed some of the better places for you to consider first.
- Pottery Barn
- Best Buy
- Fat Brain Toys
Now you have a variety of choices to get you started on your search, so next, I am going to provide you some toy choices that are the most popular and guaranteed to be safe.
Hedgehog Named Spike
Spike is a very highly recommended toy that is safe for younger children, you will be providing your child with motor skills and much more.
- Rubber spikes make this a good choice for new parents, so this will provide your child to be safe and learn at the same time.
- Rubber spikes are different colors to help your child learn.
- Spike comes with its own storage compartment so you don’t end up losing any of the parts, I am including an image below for anyone interested.
- Hedgehog named Spike is made by the company Learning Resources, so you can be sure this is a safe and educational toy parents can trust.
- The colorful spikes will keep your child’s attention for hours, and this just might be one of their favorites Santa brings them this year.
- Color recognition is just one benefit your child will receive, and two others are sorting and counting skills.
- Easy and comfortable for little hands, so this will encourage your baby or toddler to play longer.
- Recommended for babies and toddlers ages 18 months and as old as 4 years old loves Hedgehog Spike.
You can purchase this for your child at Amazon that I do receive a very small commission if you purchase Hedgehog Spike though my link. My purpose is not to earn an income from my articles and my affiliate links, but to provide you useful information. You also are able to go on Amazon on your own to purchase this product, so the choice is your own but this is a safe toy I suggest you consider Santa to bring your child this year.
Best Toddler Toys 2020
Just in case Hedgehog Spike is not the right choice for your child, I have included this list from the website Buzzfeed. The list below is what they recommend to parents in their article, so if you have confidence in Buzzfeed this might be of interest to you.
- Hedgehog Spike
- Doona Lika Trike
- Constellation Blocks
- Design & Drill Bolt Buddies
- Astronaut Play Tent
- Silly Poopy
- Learn a Lot Avocados
- Beeswax Crayons
- V-Tech Drum Set
- Animal Island Adventure
- Play Mobile Noahs Ark
- 3-Wheel Micro Scooter
Now you have even a better idea of safe learning toys to consider, you can purchase any of these at Amazon.
Electronic Pets For Kids
For older children, I have something very special and very popular. This goes by the name of electronic pets, but remember these are recommended for older children.
- The Sabertooth Kitty
- Plush Bunny Rabbit
- Hamster Pet
- Robotic Puppy
- Realistic Yorkie
- Pet Piggy
Electronic pets will be the highlight of your Christmas watching your child play and fall in love with their new pet, and even though these are awesome gifts you will need to supervise your child playing with their electronic pet.
Christmas Shopping Coupons
I would like to share with you some coupons to save you money, I am sure this will help many of you get more for your money. Christmas 2020 is going to be one of the most difficult years of many of our lives, so by sharing these coupons and promo codes I hope it helps you to have a better holiday.
- Best Buy
- Wilson Leather
- Books a Million
- Carol Wright Gifts
- LTD Commodities
- Bath & Body Works
- Bed Bath & Beyond
- Hobby Lobby
- JC Penney
- Old Navy
These are the most popular coupons and promo codes available, but there are thousands more of them waiting for consumers like you. I suggest you check them out if you are into using them, you will find the most popular stores and even some that might be brand new to you.
Holiday Safety Tips For Kids
Christmas is every parent’s goal to provide their child with the safest toys and games, so that is what this article is all about. I have included extra bonuses such as coupons and recommended toys, I even provided you some good places to start shopping. To end this blog post, I want to thank you for visiting Free Family Solutions.