Since I have just moved during Thanksgiving, I am concerned about knowing holiday safety tips for apartments. You see this is my first time not living in a house, so all of this is brand new to me and maybe even to you?
Apartment Christmas Trees
The majority of people who live in houses go for the biggest and the most impressive Christmas trees they are able to find, but if you are living in an apartment for the first time, you might be a bit overwhelmed on which ones are your best choices? I am sharing the list from the website Apartment Guide below, so this should calm your anxiety and get you on the right track.
- Fraser Fir
- Tabletop Spruce
- Scotch Pine
- Colorado Blue Spruce
- Balsam Fir
Since Fraser Fir are those you have seen in your favorite Christmas movies, I have decided to provide you a little more information on this specific choice out of the list above.
About Fraser Fir Christmas Trees
The reason I started this article holiday safety tips for apartments with choosing the best trees, we all want to have the best one that is going to improve the appearance of our new apartment. Now let us learn more about the Fraser Fir tree.
- If you are in search of a sweet-smelling scent that will last throughout your holiday, you can’t go wrong by choosing this particular one.
- One of the things I love about these is they have very soft needles compared to many others,
- You will find this is the most popular choice of the majority of people who are in search of the best Christmas tree, you will not be disappointed in its full shape.
- The perfect choice for apartments and small rooms, you will love the long-lasting appearance and scent without as much care as other real trees.
- Fraser Firs are the number one choice for Christmas trees, so this would be my first choice when tree shopping.
- I just love their dark blue-green color and pleasant scent, you will find very few complaints choosing this for your apartment.
- The pyramid shape with upright branches provides a compact appearance, so this feature alone is a bonus for small dwellings.
- Only one-tenth of fires are actually caused by Christmas trees, you can feel safe the Fraser Fir is not a fire hazard.
It is a fact that real trees are healthier than artificial ones, you will find approximately 80% of artificial trees are from China. Some of these can contain metal toxins such as lead, so even though they are popular and convenient they really are not healthy especially when you have children and pets.
Step By Step Christmas Tree Decorating
What would my holiday safety tips for apartments be without how to decorate your tree, and since I am not very good at this myself this step by step is provided by Better Homes & Garden.
- The first step once you have your tree securely set up will be to hang your lights, and choosing the wire color that will be best hidden is your best strategy. According to this article, you should begin stringing your lights from the trunk, and not from the top of your tree.
- Step two is to your garland, and to get started they recommend beginning at the top of your tree. You will need approximately two strands of garland for every vertical foot of your tree, so if this is not really your cup of tea you might wish to consider decorating with ribbon instead?
- Now you are ready for your ornaments, you want to choose your favorite ornaments to hang on your tree first. you will want to place them so they are seen from all angles of the tree, so this way everyone sitting in the room will have a view of your most precious ornaments.
- Next, fill in between your favorites with small and medium ornaments, and remember to hang some close to the trunk which is what many people forget.
- Choose a simple topper and tree skirt to complete your decorating, so this is the step-by-step tutorial provided by Better Homes & Garden.
How many of you might be interested in the different types of lights you have to choose from, and if this interests you this will be what my next paragraph will be about.
Christmas Tree Light Types
How many of you know there are different types of tree lights available, I must admit until writing this article for you I never knew these existed. We are going to learn about the four most popular ones next, so read on if this is something that interests you.
- Incandescent lights are the traditional ones most of us know about, you will find them in a variety of sizes and colors. The heat from these warms up your tree that increases the scent, and these you can also use to decorate outdoors if you choose to. My apartment has a balcony that is a cool feature, and I have noticed some of the other residents have decorated their balconies.
- LED is the next type we are going to learn about, and if you are concerned about heat-producing these are a better choice than the incandescent ones. Being flameproof and fireproof they are a bit more pricey, but at the same time, these are much safer.
- What would you say about round ones you can purchase in a variety of sizes, and plus these produce a softer light than the other ones above. If these interest you, you are going to be shopping for what they call Globe lights.
- My last type is called Bubble lights, you will have to admit these are the coolest of all the types. These are in the form of a liquid tube, and when they warm up bubbles are formed. The best example I can think of are lava lamps, so if you can imagine this type of lamp in a Christmas light form this is what you are going to get.
Now you know more about the types available, so now if you are shopping you have a better idea which ones will be the best choice for your own Christmas tree.
Apartment Safety Tips
Being new to living in an apartment I thought this would be a good article to share, I am very lucky I have moved into a high-security apartment building. So I feel very safe where I am living right now, but for those of you who are not as lucky here are some tips provided by Prometheus Apartments.
- I was surprised to read in this article that the majority of break-ins are through patio doors, balcony doors, and windows. So by keeping these locked and safe you are preventing an easy break-in, as for me I am on the 6th floor so this happening is almost impossible.
- How many of you lock your doors when you are home, I come from a rural part of Pennsylvania and this is something new to me to be doing. Living in a small town I am still rather safe, but locking your doors and windows when you are home is a very good tip from this article.
- More and more people are being home invaded by social media, so ask yourself what information are you sharing on your social media profiles? We should think twice about friending people who we don’t know personally, and should we be putting our address and phone numbers on our profiles today?
- Avoid putting any gifts under your tree until Christmas eve or Christmas day, and this is especially important if you plan to be going out on either of these days. Gifts out in the open are very tempting to people passing by, and even though this if often never thought of it could be not the safest thing for us to be doing.
- Many of us might store gifts for our girlfriends in our vehicle for safekeeping, but this can be very unsafe to be doing today. It is very easy for someone with experience to break into your vehicles, so avoiding leaving gifts in your car is another important tip to consider. At least be sure to tuck your precious gift in your car trunk, and never leave it in open view inside of your car.
- You should always appear that you are home even when you are out and about, you will find fewer people will attempt to break-in with lights on. Some folks have even gone a step further by posting a sign this home is protected by a security system, and even if you can’t afford one this alone can save you from being robbed.
- Being extremely careful at night alone entering your apartment is important, so once you open your door that gives someone the chance to push you into your apartment.
These are some very important tips from the article I just read, Since I have always lived in a rural area these things never would have been thought of. Now I live in a small country town, and even though it is safe compared to the city there is more crime here than in the country where I am originally from.
Apartment Gift Guide For Men
This paragraph is going to provide you some ideas for gifts for men who just happen to be living in an apartment, so if you are shopping for a guy these gift ideas might give you some ideas?
- Men’s Accessory Nightstand
- Bags / Backpacks
- Recliner Chair
- Apartment Size Sectionals
- Bedding Sets & Collections
These will give you a place to start if you are shopping for a guy who lives in an apartment, and next I will provide you some ideas for the gals.
Apartment Gift Guide For Women
This guide will be focusing on gifts for ladies who live in apartments, so I hope these ideas motivate you while shopping for the lady on your Christmas shopping list.
- 10 Piece Lip Balm Gift Set
- Lavender & Jasmine Body Care Gift Set
- Apartment Washer & Dryer Bundles
- Gift Baskets
- Personalized Blankets & Throws
Here are some gift ideas for women who live in an apartment, I feel it is much easier to shop for a lady than a guy when they have a smaller space they are living in.
Prayers For Protection
Father, I come to You today, bowing in my heart, asking for protection from the evil one. Lord, we are assailed moment by moment with images on television, the internet, books, and newspapers that leave us vulnerable to sin of every kind. Surround us with Your divine hedge of protection. Encompass us round about with Your strength and Your might. Let all who take refuge in You be glad, let them ever sing for joy. And may You shelter us, that those who love Your name may exult in You. For it is You who blesses the righteous man, O LORD, You surround him favor as with a shield. (Psalm 5:11-12)
Lord, I ask that You protect our minds. Father, the mindset on the flesh is death, but the mindset on the Spirit is life and peace. (Romans 8:6) O God set our minds on You. Let us not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of our minds that we may prove what Your will is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect. (Romans 12:2) Help us by the power of Your Spirit to think on whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything is worthy of praise, let our minds dwell on these things. (Philippians 4:8)
Night Before Xmas Chocolate Mouse Book
Sale Price $9.99
I thought this might be an interesting and unique gift for anyone on your shopping list, and especially a good choice for someone living in an apartment who has pretty much everything.
This will be a keepsake that will remind them of you every time they see this book on their bookshelf, and this contains 6 yummy pieces of Belgian Chocolate Mice. If you are shopping for a sweet gift for someone special, you might have just found the perfect gift.
Holiday Safety Tips For Apartments
This ends my article today with safety tips plus some gift ideas that will be useful to you, and if you just moved into an apartment I wish you to adjust very soon. I know I have been in my new apartment since Thanksgiving, but I am still adjusting from living in a house to living in an apartment building. Stay safe during the holidays, and thank you for visiting Free Family Solutions.