I pray you all enjoyed a happy and safe Christmas holiday, and now with nasty weather upon us how will you spend your time? Wonderful winter activities families are possibly just what you need, you will find family fun time ideas to pass the time during the nastiest time of the year. With COVID at it’s worse, I am sure many more of you will be spending more time at home. Many of you are out of work, and the kids are not attending school. So let us start thinking about what we can do, and you are going to find some very interesting tips in this article to do.
Family Snow Fort Tips
If you are lucky enough to live where there is snow after Christmas like Pennsylvania, one of the coolest things my friend’s family would do is build a snow fort together. Even though this was primarily for the children once completed, you can be sure this is a good idea for a family time activity this time of the year. So this is my first suggestion from the article Wonderful Winter Activities Families, but for those of you without snow keep reading more awesome ideas are to come.
- Your first and most important step is to have the wet snow that packs, and this is the key to a successful beginning to your snow fort.
- Next, you will want to create a flat area to begin. If your area is not completely flat you will more likely experience your fort to fall down or lean before you have completed your family project.
- My childhood friend always shared with me to choose a spot under a tree or where the sun doesn’t shine on, and the reason for this is you will enjoy it longer preventing it from melting on sunny days as quickly.
- Even though these were not available when we were children, you can now purchase molds to form your fort. To make this process even cooler, you are now able to purchase kits with the molds to make the best snow fort. These are actually made for sand forts, but they will work extremely well for your winter fort just as well.
- My next tip will be on how to create your best walls, You will want to fill your molds and pack them as tightly as you possibly can. This is a good reason to make this a family project, you will find dad will be able to pack the molds better than any other members in most cases. So now your father has his own job in constructing the family winter project, you could have the children fill the molds and then dad packs them to form the strongest walls.
- Start with the largest snow blocks for the foundation, and as you start a new layer choose just a tad smaller size block. Be sure to pack snow in between each block, and your best strategy is constructing side to side.
- Once your fort is complete you will want to add the finishing touch that will help it last throughout the winter, you will want to dump cold water all over the family project.
- Be sure to begin this process from the bottom, and if you start at the top it may collapse and all your hard work will be lost.
This is my favorite project in this article, so not only did I share this with you first. I also took the time to provide you a step-by-step guide, and this should help you to construct a much better snow fort with your family.
What About A Snow Cave
Another cool thing we did as kids in my day was to build snow caves, and I am sure this would make another awesome project for your family. Today’s generation stays indoors on their electronic devices, but there are some fun ways to enjoy the outdoors during winter. Again this is for those of you who live where you have snow after Christmas, so let us see how you actually construct a snow cave?
- You will begin by choosing the best spot, and you will want to avoid rocky areas plus windy slopes. It is important to pay attention to the direction the wind is blowing, and if you don’t you might find your entrance to your cave filled with snow.
- Of course, you will need a spot that has deep snow, but never fail you can always create your own perfect spot by piling up snow approximately 5 feet or more.
- Avoid the light powder snow, but one trick we used to do as kids was to pile the snow and allow it to harden on its own. So we would make our first step piling as much snow as we could as high as possible, and then we would give it time to become hard enough to construct our snow cave.
- Even though it usually only takes a few hours for our snow piles to harden, we usually gave them 24 hours. This gave us the break we needed to be fresh to start constructing our cave, and also the longer the harder the snow pile becomes.
- Begin by using a shovel or even your hands to dig your tunnel, you will want to focus on a tunnel wide enough to crawl through for the largest person. As for how deep depends on the size of your pile, and also the number of people going to be inside of the cave at one time.
- Avoid digging any higher than you need or you could collapse your cave, one way to avoid this is to insert a guide down from the center of your pile approximately 18 inches. So if you happen to start digging and hit your guide, you will know not to dig any higher or you might collapse your cave on top of you.
- The ceiling should be at the least 12 inches thick, but by going with 18 inches you will be much safer, and your sides should be at least 8 inches thick.
- The floor should be just a bit higher than your entrance, so by doing this you will have a warm snow cave. This will prevent the cold winter air from reaching you, so now you are ready to complete this family activity project.
- Just as you did with your snow fort you will want to use cold water to strengthen your snow cave as well, but you must be sure to do this only when the temperatures are below freezing.
- Smoothing the sides is another option to the completion, and by doing this you will avoid dripping water on you. The water will run down the sides, and not on top of you.
Wonderful Winter Activities Families provides you another awesome way to spend the winter with your family, so now you have two ideas that I am sure will be fun for everyone.
Family Baking Recipe Ideas
For those of you who might not have snow to do the projects above, you can’t go wrong during the winter months spending the day baking with the entire family. Even dad can join in on the fun, so here are some recipes that are recommended in the blog post 20 Simple Baking Projects For A Winter Snowy Day. You can use the link provided to get the recipes below.
- Sweet Rolls
- Savory Treats
If you visit their website you will find the 20 recipes provided in each of the categories above, and this is one of the best indoor family projects the majority of families enjoy.
Prayers For The New Year
The majority of people pray despite they might not even realize they are doing it, you don’t need to be religious to use prayer in your life. When you open up your heart with your thoughts and feelings you are in prayer, and some people do this without knowing it even if they are not sure if they believe in God.
A Prayer for Hope in the New Year
Dear Lord, As the new year begins, I look to You for our hope, joy, and peace. Give me the courage to do all that You ask of me. Please also make me brave to not do what isn’t from You. Show me how to walk in grace and embrace Your love for me even more. In Jesus’ Name, amen. ~ Holly Gerth
When You’re Stumbling into the New Year Empty and Drained
Dear Jesus, help me trade my emptiness for expectancy. I invite you to do fresh work in me this new year. In Jesus’ Name, Amen. ~ Alicia Bruxvoort
Prayer for Protection for Family and Friends
We pray that you’d keep us far from the snares and traps of temptations. That you would whisper in our ear when we need to run and whisper in our heart when we need to stand our ground.
We pray for your protection over our families and friends. We ask for your hand to cover us and keep us distanced from the evil intent of the enemy; that you would be a barrier to surround us, that we’d be safe in your hands. We pray that you would give us discernment and insight beyond our years, to understand your will, hear your voice, and know your ways.
Keep your words of truth planted firm within us, help us to keep focused on what is pure and right, give us the power to be obedient to your word. And when the enemy reminds us where we have been, hissing his lies and attacks our way, we trust that your voice speaks louder and stronger, as you remind us we are safe with you and your purposes and plans will not fail. We ask that you will be our defense and rear guard, keeping our way clear, removing the obstacles, and covering the pitfalls. Lord, lead us on your level ground.
Best Indoor Family Games
For those of you who prefer to remain indoors where it is warm, I have decided to share the best indoor family games for you. Playing games is a great way to spend time as a family, and with COVID this allows more families to play together. Below you will find some of the favorites, so hopefully, some of these will perk your interest to give them a try.
- Exploding Kittens
- Spot It
- Double Ditto
While there are many more to choose from, I have found these to be considered the favorites of many families to play today. So for any of you in search of some games, you have a list to get you started.
Wonderful Winter Activities Families
I really hope this article has inspired you to spend time this winter as a family, you have the extra time now with COVID forcing many of you to stay at home. So maybe even as terrible as this is, we can find a bright spot from this terrible year living with this in 2020.