Ho Ho No Nos Holiday Tips For Pet Owners is an important article for keeping your pets safe, we all love our furry companions with all our heart, but sometimes we can be harming them without realizing it. You will find what to avoid, and also some ways to spoil your pride and joy without risking their health.
Festive Foods That Are Harmful To Dogs
I know it takes everything I have to resist sharing my goodies on the holidays with my Miniature Australian Shepherd, you can just imagine those sad puppy dog eyes reaching your heart. Since this is one of the most difficult things to resist, I feel this should be my first set of tips to share with you. So below I have included some festive foods you should never give your furry companion, and some of these might be new to you as they are to me?
- Nutmeg and Cinnamon are two ingredients in many of our goodies, and at the same time are at the top of the list in the blog post written by Bustle.
- The next favorite of the majority of people is chocolate, and this is extremely toxic to your dogs.
- Anything that contains onions or garlic is something to avoid, so it is important to know what ingredients are in what you are eating on special days such as Christmas.
- According to this blog post, many baked goods recommend the ingredient Xylitol extremely dangerous, and you will often find this listed as Sugar Alcohol.
- Never ever give animals alcohol, you could end your companion’s life with just a few sips if you own a small dog. I can remember my grandfather doing this when I was a little boy, and luckily it didn’t harm any of our mixed breed collies.
- Eggnog might not be life-threatening, but it is a fact they can increase their blood sugar levels which is not healthy for them.
- Ham and bacon should be avoided, and even though very small amounts in moderation might not cause serious health problems they are better to just avoid to be safe.
- Meat bones always seemed to be a natural treat for our pups when I was a boy, but actually more canines have choked and died from these bones than I ever imagined.
- This one surprised me, and even though I had never thought of giving my Miniature Australian Shepherd raw dough. This is something I would have never thought about being unhealthy for him, I found this in the article written by Ksat.
- Raisins and grapes are two more foods to avoid, and one day I am going to research why these two are so dangerous.
- Fatty meats are very hard on their digestive system, so they really should never be given to them.
- The majority of spices are not healthy, and also anything with artificial sweeteners is best kept to people rather than pets.
- Just like people, you will find fried foods are not a good choice as a treat.
- The American Veterinary Medical Association shares that even very small amounts of turkey skin can cause your pet to become sick, ASPCA’s list of foods that can be hazardous to pet, visit https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/people-foods-avoid-feeding-your-pets
Since I have never owned a cat the Ho Ho No Nos Holiday Tips For Pet Owners above are more focusing on dogs than cats, but let us next see what we can find out about felines?
Holiday Tips For Cat Owners
I had to do some extensive research to provide you the tips below, and the reason is I really know very little about having a cat as a pet. Before I share the tips below, I want you to know I have nothing against cats. I was allergic to the majority of them as a boy, so that is the reason I am not familiar with feline pets in the home.
- What you are about to read comes from the website Cat Guide, so what they start off with is always be careful about your holiday beverages if you own a cat. Of course, they are referring to those that contain alcohol.
- Wine is extremely enticing to your feline pet, so it is recommended you always keep your eye on your wine glass during the holidays.
- Chocolate is also toxic to felines as well as canines, so you never want to leave any chocolate on your table or counters. With cats, you might need to be even more careful, since most of them love to get on your table and kitchen counters.
- If you are like me, you just might have a sweet tooth for fudge? This is another Ho Ho No Nos Holiday Tips For Pet Owners to know, and this is one I really never pictured cats being drawn to before now.
- Besides sweets, this might surprise you as much as it has me? Before writing this blog post for you, I never knew that tea could cause harm to any animal even a kitty cat.
- You should never give them any type of uncooked meat, and this even includes fish. This is another new one for me, I just never thought raw meat would be harmful to them.
- For any of you who use tobacco products or might have friends over to your place, you want to be sure to protect your kitty from these types of products.
- Again raisins and grapes are dangerous for this type of pet, I just never imagined a cat having any interest in either of these.
- Onions also are toxic to your feline, so these need to be avoided for both cats and dogs.
Since cats and dogs are the most common pet, I decided to focus on these two in this article. You will find the majority of people have pet owners on their Christmas shopping list, so let us look at some good gift ideas for a new pet owner.
Gift Ideas For New Pet Owners
I just moved into a senior citizen’s community, so even though I am only 62 years old it feels it is time to make this change. I have been living in an older home for the past 7 years, but lately, the stairs have become a problem for me some days. I also have been going to a pain clinic for pain management for my neck and lower back, so they suggested now is a good time for me to make this move. I have noticed many of the residents are new pet owners, so this motivated me to add some gift ideas for people who are adding their first pet to their home. Since Christmas is coming this just might benefit some of you, so below are some ideas you could consider.
- My Miniature Australian Shepherd just loves his doggy pillow, but I am going to surprise him this year with a brand new doggy bed. So either of these is a very good gift to consider, and many new pet owners think of the essentials before either of these for their new puppy dog.
- Luxury pet product gift box or basket, you can provide a variety of useful products the majority of new pet owners never would think of buying. So if you are shopping for something special, you might just want to consider a gift box or gift basket with a luxury cat or dog products.
- For those of you on a tight budget, you could always go with a gift card for one of the favorites they enjoy shopping. This is great when you really don’t know what they have and don’t have, you never can go wrong with gift cards.
- Digital picture frames or cubes with their babies photographs they have shared with you, I am sure this will put a smile on their face and they will remember this gift came from you.
- Pawprint keepsake kits are not only very affordable, but they also last forever. Every time they look at this gift, you will come to mind.
- How about this new gadget I just found that goes by the name of “Did You Feed The Dog”, you will find this is another budget-friendly gift idea. I am sure it also will be very useful for a new pet owner, so if this interests you check it out.
- For something for the person who rarely leaves home without their companion consider the Unique Dog Traveler Bag, and this also is very affordable and a unique gift idea.
- As for kittens, how about kitty toys? What I would do is purchase some cute kitten toys, you also could add some catnip and treats in a unique gift basket.
- Light up pet collars would be another choice I would recommend, you could even add this to a pet gift basket since it is very affordable.
- Cozy and warm blankets with cats and dogs on them are always thoughtful choices, you know for sure this will be cherished and used for years to come.
- For the big spenders, you can’t go wrong giving a special pet vacuum, and as a long-term pet owner, I know these last longer and work much better than your regular vacuum.
The majority of the suggestions above are very affordable, so despite money being a problem due to COVID this year. You still can give some cool gifts for Christmas, I suggest you put more thought into your gift than money. Everyone would love something they know you choose just for them, so don’t think spending a lot of money is always going to impress your friends.
How To Be An Awesome Pet Parent
I meet people almost every day who just never take the first step to add a cat or dog to their home, so many just are anxious about the responsibility of taking care of a pet. The first thing you should consider if you are going to take the step, you should consider are you more of a homebody or an outgoing person? Cats are the most popular pet for many people on the go, you just keep their food and water dishes filled plus their litter boxes clean. Dogs are my choice since I stay home more, but there are other pets you can choose such as fish and birds. Here is a short guide on how to be an awesome pet parent, so for anyone hesitant this guide is for you.
- Choosing the best pet for you, I gave you an example above if you are a homebody or a social butterfly. You also might do better adopting an older cat or dog, and the reason is they are less energetic than a kitten or a puppy.
- Fish are beautiful to have in your home, I have often thought about an aquarium myself. What stops me is the work and time to keep their home clean, so you need to research what it takes to care for whatever pet you choose.
- Cats and dogs are very easy to make happy, you just provide them what they need plus a comfy place to nap or rest. Treats are an option that most of us do out of love, but you are not obligated to purchase pet treats to be a good pet parent.
- Beds and pillows for canines will keep them comfy and happy, so for cats, a clean litter box and a cat tree is really all you need.
- You will want to pet-proof your home before adding any pet in your home, I keep the majority of my electrical cords behind furniture to keep my Miniature Australian Shepherd from getting hurt.
- As for cats and dogs, I suggest identification tags for them, I include my dog’s name, address, and phone number just in case. For a small investment, you can have them chipped, and by doing this they can scan your pet to get you both back together.
- By providing toys you will find they will get into less mischief, you can do like I do and purchase many of them at your dollar stores. Balls I have found are great choices for both cats and dogs, so this would be my first recommendation as their first toy.
- Grooming is an important part that might scare many of you to do, but I take my dog to a groomer that costs me very little. Cats are natural groomers on their own, but they sometimes need their nails trimmed just like dogs.
- Keep their food and water bowls clean, litter boxes, and also you will need to wash their bedding from time to time as well.
- Healthy pets after their vaccinations usually only need to visit the vet once or twice per year, so these really are the basic things to consider before becoming a new pet owner.
A pet is very much like taking care of a toddler, you will find they will provide you more in return than you give them naturally. If you live alone a companion will change your life, but be sure that adding one to your home and life is something you really are prepared to do. You will not find more love from anyone or anything than a pet, and the most difficult part is to take that first step.
Inspirational Quotes For Pet Owners
“Such short little lives our pets have to spend with us, and they spend most of it waiting for us to come home each day.
It is amazing how much love and laughter they bring into our lives and even how much closer we become with each other because of them.”
“Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge.”
“It may be a cat, a bird, a ferret, or a guinea pig, but the chances are high that when someone close to you dies, a pet will be there to pick up the slack. Pets devour the loneliness. They give us purpose, responsibility, a reason for getting up in the morning, and a reason to look to the future. They ground us, help us escape the grief, make us laugh, and take full advantage of our weakness by exploiting our furniture, our beds, and our refrigerator. We wouldn’t have it any other way. Pets are our seat belts on the emotional roller coaster of life–they can be trusted, they keep us safe, and they sure do smooth out the ride.”
Holiday Pet Treat Recipes
- Christmas Cookies
- Peppermint Pinwheel
- Apple Mint Recipe
- Mutts Mints
- Sweet Potato Treats
- Easy Doggy Cookies
- Candy Canes
- Apple Cranberry
- Peanut Butter
- Gingerbread Cookies
- Christmas Turkey Treats
- Grain-Free Sweet Potato Goodies
- Doggy Christmas Cookies
Websites For Pet Owners
- Only Natural Pets
- Bring Fido
- Web Vet
- Pet University
- Cat Lovers Only
- Pet Health Information
Prayers For Your Pets
Healing and transforming God, your love knows no boundaries, and in your sight every life is precious; look with compassion on (pet’s name), and make us your agents of healing in a broken world.
Heavenly Father, Please help us in our time of need, You have made us stewards of (name of pet). If it is Your will, please restore him (her) to health and strength. I pray too for other animals in need. May they be treated with the care and respect deserving of all Your creation. Blessed are You Lord God, and holy is Your name for ever and ever.
O Lord Jesus Christ, our Savior, Physician of all living things, who through thy love and compassion doth heal all manner of sickness and affliction: do thou O Lord visit this pet (pet’s name) of his (her) suffering and heal him (her) of every sickness and affliction. Also grant to me patience and acceptance of whatever you may deem worthy for this humble pet. Be with my pet in this time of need and help him (her) to be comforted by our care and love.
Ho Ho No Nos Holiday Tips For Pet Owners
I am sure this guide will help any of you reading this article to understand better how to be a good pet parent, I also provided as much holiday tips so you can keep your companion safe and healthy during Christmas. The affordable gift idea guide I hope has also been helpful, I thank you for visiting Free Family Solutions today.